The aim of this activity is to reduce the ‘us and them' attitude that often exists between different functional areas of an organisation, eg sales, marketing and operations. The idea is for participants to step into someone else's shoes, see things from their point of view, and come up with improvements. It consists of two parts:
Participants form small groups from the same functional area eg sales, marketing or operations.
To outline how the activity works, imagine yours is a marketing group. You would be given these instructions: imagine you are not members of the marketing team, but instead, sales reps. As fanatical, dedicated sales reps, discuss the following:
- What ‘bugs' you about the marketing department?
- What does marketing do, that inhibits your ability to reach your goals?
- What do you really need from the marketing department, to help you achieve budget?
A variation on this discussion occurs within other functional groups.
The small groups re-form to include people from all functional areas. They discuss questions such as:
- What inhibits our ability to work together effectively?
- What are the main things we need to change, to work together more effectively?
- How could we realistically implement those changes?
Depending on client requirements, Graeme often integrates this workshop with one of his other Better Business Workshops or creative thinking presentations: ‘How to Suck Great Ideas out of Your Head’ or ‘Uncork Your Creative Genie’. He may also serve as Master of Ceremonies or Facilitator for your overall event. Visit these pages to get a better feel for his unique approach.